To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: Green Monster Tesla coil on new webpage & getting spark pics

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

David,

If your Canon A80 is similar to my Canon A60 (and i think it is), here
is how i set my camera to capture my spark pictures (and it can work
very well).

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/DRSSTC2/spk2-3-18-05.JPG

Set the camera to "manual" mode (M on the rotary dial).  Set the
shutter to 1" to 2" (1 to 2  seconds) and set the aperture in the
2.8-3.5 range.  Set the ISO (film speed) to 200 or 400 (any more and
it gets much too grainy, any less and it seems to dim the spark's
appearance... at least for my camera, your results may vary).  Use a
tripod of course.  Set the camera to burst mode as well (in the
function>drive mode menu).  This way you fire up the coil and just
hold down the shoot button and it takes a whole bunch of pictures
without you having to think ;-).  You may also want to turn the flash
ON if it is really dark outside.  The flash only lasts a short time
compared to the 1-2 seconds of shutter time.  The flash is just enough
to illuminate the coil clearly, and you still capture all those
sparks:

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/mag2-4-30-05/spark7.JPG

I think those spark pictures are not too shabby considering its just a
$200 camera (and several years old at that).  You should be able to
achieve similar results with your A80.

I will be looking forward to the spark shots ;-).

Steve

<http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.html>http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.html