Re: MOT's as Charging inductors in DC Coil

Original poster: "Paul Benham" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ted,

Interesting results.  I wonder if it will be as bad as this if the I is
removed and the air gap is increased, or even if the test carried out
without the I's.

I use MOT's as a DC charging reactor.  I have used four in series with 2mm
plastic spacers in between the I's and E's with good results, and also used
two in series in parallel with another two in series, again with additional
plastic to increase the air gap.  Running up to 10kV DC caused one of the
MOT's to fail.

I am now running three in series without I's at the moment.  I did end up
with power arcing in my rotary at slow speeds, but I hope to solve this by
using less electrodes on the rotary and spinning it faster.  I am also going
to increase my charging inductors inductance.

I still mean to test my charging inductor current against applied AC
voltage, but your test sounds much better to simulate what happens in
practice.

Cheers,

Paul.