Re: Permanent magnet Tesla coil

Original poster: Brady Hauth <bhauth@xxxxxxxxx>

> Read about the Alexanderson alternator for a way of
> generating high frequencies with relatively sane RPMs.
> Tesla owned some alternators like these and used them
> to drive his coils, so it's not a new idea.

Thinking about the original idea some more I figured that one might be
able to work such a system by using a ring of magnets inside the inner
diameter of a toroid wrapped with wire that switches direction every
turn. Very small magnets and very good alignment would be needed, but
200kHz would be possible for a high-grade one. I presume Alexanderson
alternators worked on a similar principle, although no schematics pop
up on google immediately.