Help with nitrogen laser project (1MW) circuit analysis.....

Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 07:09 PM 8/17/2005, you wrote:
Sorry this is a bit off topic,

Oh! That is always a "dead giveaway" to the moderator :o)))))

but I'm having real trouble analyzing the circuit of a nitrogen laser (123cm long channel). It doesn't use an inverted LC circuit (which, i guess, is the ubiquitous design), instead, it uses a "charge transfer technique"--which I don't understand too well or can find much direct info about.

First, here's a schem of it: <http://img18.exs.cx/img18/5646/schem7fh.jpg>http://img18.exs.cx/img18/5646/schem7fh.jpg
C2 is dumped into C1 [NOTE the left part i scraped: instead of a thyratron, i am using a spark gap to trigger]

The power supply is 5ma at 20kv half wave rectified DC.

The latter part of the sentence gets me: how do I analyze this circuit in respects to half wave (DC)? ie, how are C2 and C1 charged explicitly? it seems odd how they are connected....i'm trying to form step by step how a discharge is formed in the channel (a 4cm gap at 100 torr).

An idea i'm questioning is: would chaning the air spark gap with my rotary one from my tesla coil?

Oh!! Said "Tesla coil"... An "attempt" to stay on topic ;-))

my reasoning is since its half waved DC, if i make the gap fire 60 times a sec, it will fire on the highest point on the top of the + peak, therefore, it should discharge when the caps are charged the most. is this correct? or do the caps interact differently to how i am thinking?

sorry for the long load of questions, but hopefully i'll get this working well! any suggestions for what topics i should look up in an EE book might also help....

thanks for taking the time to help!

Best to reply directly and off list if not TC related ;-)

"Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>