Re: Anyone willing to part with an NST?

At 04:44 PM 8/17/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've also noticed 120 mA versions. Rare as hen's teeth and cost about 4x more than 4 30 mA versions combined. Are those even used anymore?

Mike

I see you've noticed the basic pricing strategy for transformers: cost is proportional to mass which is proportional to VA rating. The exceptions are for things where there's some unique aspect (makes them more expensive) or where there's some enormous volume to drive the price down (e.g. ignition coils).

Same thing applies to capacitors. The dollar/joule number is pretty constant for a given type of capacitor (e.g. high rep rate pulse discharge), and for the same reason that dollars/VA is constant for transformers. No novel technology here, so it's cost of materials and the labor to assemble them.