Re: Permanent magnet Tesla coil

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

I want  some of what you are using Bill ....  ;)

kewl dream...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Would it be possible to create a tesla coil with o primary, but instead a
> bunch of powerfull rotating permanent magnets?

Yes!   The same idea came to me when I was half asleep, but through a
tortuous path:

  - in order to use a tiny antenna as a "resonant short dipole" which
    intercepts a huge amount of RF energy, the small antenna should be
    superconducting (extremely high Q.)

  - a permanent magnet is like a DC superconductor coil: it keeps
    producing a big field but without a power supply.   How could we make
    a DC superconductor loop behave as an AC-based antenna?

  - IDEA!  Rotate the superconductor loop (or permanent magnet.)  Flip
    it end over end.  Or better yet, rotate a PAIR of magnets so that, as
    they flip end over end, their fields are strong when the poles line
    up, but the fields cancel to nearly zero when the magnets turn so they
    lie side by side with opposite poles adjacent.  This acts like an
    RLC tank circuit, and creates an intense b-field, but works best down
    below a few hundred Hz.

  - If the magnets are suspended in a vacuum chamber, and lifted by
    maglev bearings, and spun up to nearly 3600RPM, they should keep
    spinning, since they'd lock onto the ambient 60Hz magnetic field
    which is known to fill the worldwide Earth/ionosphere cavity.
    (This forms a synchro motor, but with the field coil being the
    entire USA power grid!)   With large enough magnets you could
    hook up a generator and use it to run the vacuum pump and maglev
    circuit.

- So turn this around and BROADCAST. Build two frickn' enormous neodymium supermagnets, put them near each other with shafts through their centers so the poles can flip end over end, then spin them at 8Hz, 14Hz, etc. As their EM fields couple to the Schumann cavity and the EM standing waves in the cavity build up, soon it will take a considerable amount of energy to keep the big magnets spinning. The magnets experience "generator drag" because of the phase relationship of the ambient 14Hz field. If your magnets are too short, no need to make 'em longer, just add more units to the end. When they flip so they all line up, the poles are separated effectively by the length of the chain of magnet-spinning units. Tall towers or long horizontal "antennas" could be built.

There we have it: Nikola Tesla's "World System" energy broadcaster, but using intense magnetic fields rather than intense electric fields. A giant 7Hz TC becomes trivial... but no need for a high-voltage coil tower. Hook the spinning magnets directly to a hydro dam turbine and send water power out into space. Let it power all the distant syncro motors.

 :)

Now would this really work?  Certainly ...but the size of the magnets
might be infeasible.

So if thats too expensive, instead you build a few thousand wax "electret"
spheres each charged to 50KV or so, line them up vertically on a wooden
tower,   ...etc.

:)

> It would seem that that would create much higher voltages in the secondary > that the usuarl primary would. > If anybody has the resources to build a tc like this, it wuld be quite > interesting.

It's the 1KHz secondary which becomes the problem.

> I would suggest attaching some neodynium magnets to a steel cable and > attaching a motor to one end of the cable. Run the cable through some holes > or bearings around the secondary in a circle. Leave the other end of the > cable free. You can get the perfect peice of steel cable and the perfect > motor in the form of a Dremel tool and Demel extention attatchment. > > Steven Steele > >

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci