Re: 2nd light of the "Green Monster" - sec vs. pri height

Hi Jonathon,

The coupling is certainly an issue if it's too tight (racing sparks). But, if that isn't a problem, it's one of those items that can wait until your certain you want to mess with it. Often we discuss "coupling" on the list. We're not trying to make this out to be a "super crucial" adjustment, it's just that when coilers have problems with racing sparks or similar, it's natural to tag this as a cause.

For some, the adjustment may be wroth the trouble, and for others, it may appear to be "not worth the trouble". It all comes down to what is the best mutual inductance for the coil, where it is prior to k adjustments, and what it's capable of. Some coils can't handle the higher k values and others can. So, if it's too much trouble and not a problem, don't worry about it. All my coils were built to allow sensitive coupling adjustments, all except one. That one I just leave as is. The coil does fine where it is. Too much work and not enough desire to mess with it. It's one of those 4" coil diam's which I can pick the secondary, topload, and primary all in one hand without any effort. Due to it's convenience, I've certainly ran it more than the larger coils and have had a blast with it.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Kidd6488@xxxxxxx
yeah, i thought of that, but that would probably be even harder, because the primary was wound AFTER the PVC supports were screwed down. plus the connection is made of CU pipe that runs down and around under the table.

it'd be worth a look tho, thanks

Jonathon