Re: Arc welder as pig ballast not working right

Nick,

Sounds like you could have a synch issue there. That's the way all of my async rotary coils have acted when I tried to used two sets
of stationary electrodes 180 degrees apart on the disc. With async,
I've always had to go with just one set of electrodes. If this is
happening, you need to be careful as the resonance rise "goes
thru the roof" and can damage or destroy other electrical components
in your house!

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:40 AM Subject: Re: Arc welder as pig ballast not working right

Original poster: "seanick" <edgarsbat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I notice the long trailing arcs on the electrodes if the coil is running almost in tune but with the electrodes at the wrong positioning, but if i adjust the rotation it generally clears up and gets longer arcs from the topload.
but if I raise the power level, both the long arcs in the gap, and the arcs off the topload, stop altogether, and just have a popping sound as though a plasma bubble burst - the average power used goes up, but there doesn't seem to be any outlet that displays where the power is going. - except maybe the electrodes since that is usually when they get so hot that they start melting the plexi disc and getting loose, then flying off into the distance at a random direction.
I have stopped running the coil until I know what the problem is. too dangerous and expensive. but regardless of what else I will need to fix, does anyone have any larger electrodes, like 3/8" they would be willing to part with? I only need 4 of them, an inch or so long each... 8 if I replace the stationary ones too.
also what about caps, anyone have any extra hv caps or know of good deals on them, the cornell dubilier 3kvdc .1 uf polyprop's that I bought before aren't being sold anymore.. only .047 uF...
thanks
NICK