To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: DC power on Tesla secondary (was 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 ...

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 8/11/05 9:24:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Lou connected two Fair Radio 0.1 uF 100 kV caps in series in
a voltage doubling configuration. These "hot" end of the capacitor chain
was connected to the base of the secondary so, elevating the base of the
secondary to a DC potential of 30 or 40 kVDC (I don't remember which). The
"low" side of the capacitor chain was connected to RF ground.

Could you elaborate on this configuration? Sounds like a couple of caps in series with the base of the secondary, I don't see how the "voltage doubling" comes in. It also sounds like these "booster" caps have to be of the same ratings as good primary caps.
The polarity
of the coil base could be switched to provide either a positive or negative
HVDC bias to the secondary. This allowed the secondary to be AC coupled to
ground through the caps while also permitting a DC bias to be added to the
RF output.

How was this switching accomplished, and was it dynamic or a matter of changing connections before a run?

-Phil LaBudde