Re: Jonathon's 6"-Tuning was 2nd light of the "Green Monster" - sec vs. pri height

Hi Jonathon,

Not to worry, the specs you gave were fine. It's not what I'm looking for, but what the specs actually are that matters. Given the 1" clearance between pri and sec you described (along with primary specs), k = 0.142 when the bottom sec turn is level with the primary. Not bad. It could go higher, but given the sec cannot physically go below the primary, it's fine.

Based on your topload specs, the coil should tune in at 8.15 turns if running outside. In an enclosed environment (say a garage) the tap doesn't change much on your coil. It should tune in at 8.25 turns. Hardly a difference. This is actually a nice feature of your coil. On my 8.5" coil, there is a very noticeable difference of about 1 turn between outside and inside running.

Your coil would probably do best if the sec was 1/2" below the primary.

BTW, I always quote program specs here, yet I always run inductance high on the primary (between 5 and 15%). By the percent here I'm referring to the sec and pri frequency's. You find that many coilers run a little high on pri inductance. The reason favored that streamers add to secC, thus, we tune for the bigger streamers.

With that said, I can say "some days are certainly better than others" and "some days suck"!

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Kidd6488@xxxxxxx
Ok, my site is at <http://hot-streamer.com/jonathon>http://hot-streamer.com/jonathon.

The specs aren't the greatest on there however... I just measured, and the closest point between the primary and secondary is 1", but I think the value you are looking for is somewhere between 1.25" and 1.5" (the next few spots were). 860 turns on the secondary does ring a bell.

The primary is only 10 turns maximum (and just barely, actually like 9.9). I could try to add to this, but it might not come out pretty.
Depends on how much it matters. My topload is 4" dryer duct between piepans. I measured and it is 16" Diameter (major, or outside). And about 4.5" tall.

I'm realizing now how poorly engineered this thing actually is.
Flaws: *Only 10 turns available on the primary (ran out of Cu pipe, can probably solder more on though). *Secondary cannot be set below primary (could be changed if absolutely necessary. Last resort though.) *Topload too small (Wanted to make a new one anyways, any suggestions on bigger toroids, easily?)

Thank you all! Its great to be getting back into this again.....

And as far as outside diam. of primary, I'm not sure right now, but I can measure that tomorrow if necessary...

Thanks again

Jonathon Reinhart