Re: (Bill's experience) was Ball lightning - Terry's thoughts....

Original poster: wysock@xxxxxxx

Terry,

Thanks for asking the question.  7,500 j is what I had also posted on my
web site.  I don't have the capacitor here (at my Monrovia address), but
I recall that it is an Aerovox energy storage capacitor (weighs about 300+
pounds).  I had charged it up to 60 KV (although I remember the cap's
rating was 80 KVP) and I think it was something like 40 mfd, but I'm
not sure of that without being able to view the label.

That surge may have been a combination of both RF radiation and FB
into the power line.  I remember that it instantaneously tripped my
100 amp main power breaker.  However, the wireless PCM 9 VDC
security alarm transmitters (the farthest one away from "ground zero"
was over 150 feet), all fried their i.c.'s on their pcb's.  None of these
units were connected to anything and every one of them was isolated
from any external wiring or ground return paths.  So in my mind, that
part, at least, was due directly to EMP effects.  And yes, that was
also the occasion of blowing a light bulb (physically) right out of
its socket (I had forgotten about that).

Best regards,
Bill Wysock