RE: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I hate to propagate this never-ending thread that has no relationship to
its subject line, but...

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> The Freau formula's "1.7" factor is for NSTs.  NSTs are very power
> limited and predictable so the formula works over a wide variety of
systems.

<snip>

Using the faceplate power rating on an NST may often, IMO, seriously
understate the true power consumption.  Particularly when using LTR cap
sizes and a Variac-elevated higher than nominal mains voltage,
ferroresonance may occur and permit huge amounts of power to be drawn,
far in excess of the faceplate rating.  My unmodified 15/60 NST, with a
faceplate rating of 900W, should pull just 7.5 Amps @120VAC.  But the
reality is that under load, I peg my 20A meter @135VAC (this *with* PFC
caps).

Regards, Gary Lau