Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

At 10:38 AM 8/8/2005, you wrote:

> i`ve no time to read it,
> but maybe some day - who knows?  :-)))

Let us know when you discover the secret of 120 foot
sparks!

Steve Conner

Hi Steve,

In a nutshell...
Voltage is about 2MV, energy is a few thousand joules, and you have to maintain the drive for about 1mS.*

DRSSTC's make the last two easy "now" ;-))

Basically you get the leader going and keep feeding it with power to keep the channel heated and supply the tip with voltage and energy so it can keep going and going and going...

The 2MV and 1000's of joules is sort of hard right now, but we can certainly work on a little less than 450 feet version. ;-)) I think the coil has to be lower impedance to maintain the high voltage transfer longer too...

Cheers,

        Terry

*Gerry has the book, but I think those are the numbers?

Cheers,

Terry