Re: Aircraft and lightning

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Antonio,

I get the same thing! Only for me it's a little too quick ro run for cover. My old computer monitor's (Amdek Color I) audio section would give about 5 seconds warning before a strike by changing the pitch of it's hum.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

"Except for the hiss and buzz, which can last a lot longer, and occur
whenever the field is high, even without a long stroke, and is really
really creepy, because you just know something big might happen. "
    My one and only really close strike experience started with a "sizzle"
(buzz) which increased in pitch until the bang.  Probable total time
wasn't more than a second or so but plenty long enough to realize what
was going on.  Sort of a "zzzzzzzzzzzzBANG!" affair.  Surprisingly
enough, the bang wasn't as loud as I've heard from strokes a quarter of
a mile away, but I was on the inside of a quonset hut type hanger with
the door open and the strike was either to a pole on the roof or to a
light tower next to it.  Nothing visible afterwards.

When a lightning strikes close to me (common where I live), I frequently have the impression of a zzzzzzz sound just before the thunder. I wonder if it is not caused by strong electromagnetic radiation, or the effect of the radiation on something close.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz