Re: Safe distance for photographing operating tesla coils with digital cameras?

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

I used a little Kodak DX3900 digicam to shoot my 4"
and 6" coils in my garage. I put the TC in one corner,
and the camera in the opposite corner. I've never had
any issues of any kind. No wavy lines, no artifacts,
no mystery shutdowns--nothing. The camera is not
bothered one bit by the insane spark monster a few
meters away.

I too have experimented with time exposures, creative
lighting, and so on. I know the resulting photos are
not 100% "honest" as far as coil performance, but for
me, tinkering around with photography is another
enjoyable facet of coiling. Besides, the resulting
spark photos look cool. I think if a stranger chewed
me out over such a trivial matter, I'd get an alarm
system installed. Scary folks out there.

Really though, people will say things via e-mail that
they would never say to your face. The distance and
the anonymity seem to cause some folks (including me)
to forget their manners. I usually read my e-mails a
couple of times before I send them as a last chance
"courtesy check". Comments in plain text can come
across much harsher than intended.

Cheers,

Gregory R. Hunter

http:\\hot-streamer.com/greg