To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: Stealing Celestial Fire

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry, all,
   I wasn't thinking pulsed. (sorry.. stuck in CW mode). I
suppose you'd need a really fast timer with a detector that
has an incredibly fast response time. I never actuall
thought about how you'd physically measure the length of a
pulse like that. Maybe a matreial with a really high
refractive index so the pulse would slow down (and also be
able to withstand those kinds of power levels)?

I'll see what I can find (if anyone's interested.. ;) )

Our Nd:YAG can put out some power (and it's got a Q switch)
so maybe it might be the one to try. I can't remember off
hand, but I believe the ionizaton of air (or any material)
is somewhat wavelength dependent (due to absorbtion peaks
at a certain wavelengths depending on the molecule). With
that being said, anyone remember what the peak absorbtion
wavelength for nitrogen is? That may be the determining
factor for which wavelength is appropritate to use for
maximum effectiveness with using to trigger a gap. (correct
me if I'm wrong)

Looks like I've got a bit of work to do ;)

Coiling In Pittsburgh Ben McMillen