Re: Stealing Celestial Fire

At 01:59 PM 4/20/2005, you wrote:

They employed their Teramobile laser, whose pulse lasts for a mere 100
femtoseconds and packs a peak power of 5 terawatts

That's 100E-15 seconds * 5E12 Watts = 0.5 Joules... if I got my prefixes
right...

WOW!! The light pulse is only just over 1/1000 inch long!! Even if it is just 0.5 joule, I don't think I would want to get in it's way!!

The spark seems very straight and uniform!

I see they use the little semi-spheres for the top in what I think is a HV multiplier in there lab picture.

Cheers,

        Terry

<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/apr05/0405nlas.html