[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Who all has built OLTCs?
- To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Who all has built OLTCs?
- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:24:24 -0600
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <006d01c545bb$317a80c0$5582cd41@source>
- Old-return-path: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <006d01c545bb$317a80c0$5582cd41@source>
- Resent-date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:24:27 -0600 (MDT)
- Resent-from: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Resent-message-id: <NIjf6D.A.s1G.7IoZCB@poodle>
- Resent-sender: tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx
Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OLTC stands for Off Line Tesla Coil. The OLTC does not use high voltage
step up transformers but rather uses AC line voltages directly in the
primary. Very high currents are still produced in the primary with very
large primary capacitors and very low primary inductances (almost a dead
short). They are electronically switched with IGBTs (Insulated Gate
Bipolar Transistors) that can handle huge (2000+ amp) currents.
At 09:09 AM 4/20/2005, you wrote:
OK, I will ask the silly question. What does
the "OL" mean? (You need to realize there are a lot of us who are relatively
new to this
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:42 AM
Subject: Who all has built OLTCs?
> Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi all
> I'm trying to start a list of everyone who has built an OLTC. Could you
> me know if I have missed you out? Also if you have any information about
> your coil on the web, I can link to it.
> Terry Fritz (OL' Terry's Coil)
> Jason Judd
> Derek Woodroffe (two)
> Me (two)
> Alan Sharp
> Adam Horden
> Finn Hammer (two)
> Steve Conner