To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 11:39 PM
Subject: DRSSTC Magnifier Mark 1

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys!

I just built my first magnifier of any sort, and of course its DRSSTC
driven ;-).  I should mention that i have NO idea what im doing when
it comes to magnifier design... i just thought i'd try something and
see how it goes.  Worked great!  Check out the page i made for it
(includes spark pics!)

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/DRSSTCmag1.htm

The magnifier seems to be pretty well behaved.  My max spark length so
far is about the same as when it was a 2-coil system.  That is, 35"
from a 11" tall resonator ;-).  Its just that now the sparks arent
always hitting the strike ring!  :-).  I might just have to move up to
a full-bridge drive to really get the sparks flowing!  There isnt so
much of a limit now that the coil can be elevated off the ground more.

The magnifier required a lower tuning than before, which is what i
expect since i have more effective leakage L to resonate there, as
well as more capacitance.

This was just a "test", cooler things should come along soon, need to
order some magnet wire!  Whats also nice is that the conversion from
2-coil to 3-coil was very easy!

Questions and comments welcome.

Steve Ward