Re: Connecting pipes together for primary?

Original poster: Tyler <blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks all for the input. I live in North Dakota, I
have no Lowe's, no Home Depot, or the such. We do have
plumbing places, but those are the ones who want
around 30-40 bucks for 50' of the stuff. All the other
places like the local hardware stores never have a
full 50' roll, and still want 30+ bucks. I did find
some 20' rolls for 6 bucks, and I think I will just
pick up a few of those, and join 'em together. I know
one of the plumbers real well, and he still said he'd
have to get 34 bucks for a 50' roll. He did hook me up
with some thin-as-nuts pvc, 6.3125" OD, a 8' section
for 8 bucks! Now, I just need to figure out how to cut
this straight, sand, dry, and enamel the pipe, and
she's ready to go.

One more question, now I'm at the point of picking the
secondary wire. In many of Tesla's coils, he had them
resonating at as low as 33 khz, is a lower freq
better? As of right now i have these options:
23 AWG - 1,187 turns - 149 Khz
24 AWG - 1,332 turns - 132 Khz
26 AWG - 1,669 turns - 105 Khz

I do have enough pipe, so I may go with the 24 awg,
and try something way out, like a 28 AWG - 2,071 turns
- 85 Khz, just to see what it'l do. I am also shooting
for a 4.5:1 height to diameter ratio, with around
1.3KW, should I shooot for higher or lower than that,
or does that sound good?

Thanks again for all the input, Blimpie

--- Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" > <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Hey Blimpie, > Where are you located to have such a hard time > coming up with copper > tubing??!! Are you in the States? Lowe's, Home > Depot, and local plumbing > supply houses all have the .25" soft copper tubing > available in 50' rolls > for much less than $40. Lowe's also has 10' and 20' > rolls that you can use > to get those "extra few turns" that seem to always > be needed. > > I am anything but an experienced pro so I am a > little reluctant to give > advice, but I do know from reading volumes of > archives, this list, and > countless Tesla web sites, that you can certainly > join .25" soft copper > tubing by inserting either a piece of wire or as you > suggest a smaller > piece of tubing and then soldering the joint and > cleaning it up until it is > very smooth. Good luck. > Paul Brodie > Think Positive > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tesla list" > <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> > To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> > Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:20 PM > Subject: Connecting pipes together for primary? > > > Original poster: Tyler > <<mailto:blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx>blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx> > > > > Ok, so I am building a new tesla coil. So far I > have > > 15kv and 90mA worth of NST's, a saltwater cap to > be > > rebuilt, and my secondary will be 6.5" diameter > by > > about 29" with 23awg wire (around 1200 or so > turns). > > As for my primary, it is pretty tough to get 1/4" > OD > > copper pipe here in great lengths. To my > calculations, > > I will need around 70 feet or so of the pipe. I > can > > get 10' lengths for around 2 bucks, and a 50 foot > roll > > is like 40 bucks. Could I, essentially, use 10' > > lengths, with a piece of 1/8" od pipe inside the > ends > > of the 1/4" pipe (to make good electrical and > physical > > connection), and solder them together? It seems > to me, > > that as long as I sand away the solder to be > smooth > > with the pipe, it shouldn't be a problem for > primary > > arcing. The only other thing i see is the > resistance > > going up a bit, and changing the res freq a > little > > bit. > > > > Anyone have any input on this, or any links to > where I > > can see it done? > > > > Thanks in advance, > > Blimpie > > > > > > >