Re: Primary Frustration!

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I was starting to wind my primary (3/16" copper tubing with 3/16" between turns). I made 4 plexi supports and drilled 3/16" holes to wind the primary in. I mounted them with silicone onto my TC table I made.
I waited over a day for the silicone to dry. I had my girlfriend come over to help, we got almost half way and all the silicone supports ripped off, GRR!!! It was getting very hard to rotate through as well.
I don't know what to do now.
I know a lot of you say to drill the holes half way into the supports so the tubing will "snap" in but it is too late for that. I have a chop saw but it has a standard DeWalt blade (for wood) in it. Even if I went slow I would be scared that it would crack, chip, or shatter. Any suggestions or ideas?

Silicone glue is not a glue at all. Just a sealant. Use proper acrylic glue, or better, screws (some may argue that metal screws are now something that you want close to the primary coil, but there is no problem). There is no technical reason to use copper tubing for a primary coil of a low-power Tesla coil. Any wire stiff enough to keep the shape will work, with losses that you will see only with instruments. Apply some oil to the blade when cutting acrylic, and it will cut like butter.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz