Re: capacitance of homemade caps

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 > AHAH! So some caps do need HV to charge them! I was right! Again.
Well a capacitor is simply a capacitor. Unless you put sopme charge
into them they won't do anything useful. A signal generator amongst
many other things will charge/discharge them. I suggest you get hold
of a book on basic electricity and read it.

With Leyden jar caps made with aluminum foil, it's very easy to get bad contacts that prevent proper operation at low voltage. Anyway, the capacitance is probably too low for use in a Tesla coil, unless many in parallel are used.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz