Re: Tungsten

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

So I wonder what's mixed with the tungsten in light bulb filaments that gets white hot (around 4000F) and is quite brittle? I always thought it was pure tungsten but I guess not.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: Tungsten

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

With a bit of googling:

http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/74.html

Says:

"Very pure tungsten can be cut with a hacksaw,  forged, spun, drawn,
and extruded. The impure metal is brittle and can be worked only with
difficulty. Tungsten has the highest melting point of all metals, and
at temperatures over 1650oC has the highest tensile strength. The
metal oxidizes in air and must be protected at elevated temperatures.
It has excellent corrosion resistance and is attacked only slightly by
most mineral acids. The thermal expansion is about the same as
borosilicate glass, which makes the metal useful for glass-to-metal
seals. "

Looks like Jared was correct.

Steve Ward