Re: tungsten carbide magnetic?

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've heard thoriated rods are a bad choice for a gap, not just for radioactive reasons. The thorium is added to make the rods arc more consistently in a welder. If that's the case, won't these make for a TC gap that has poor quenching?

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: tungsten carbide magnetic?

Original poster: Lee Kohlman <lwkksw@xxxxxxxxx>

I am designing a static spark gap using 1/8" tungsten welding rods (yes, thoriated but to be used outside). I have access to phenolic fiberglass to support them. I have a total of 10 rods that I would like to lay parallel and still have some way to adjust gap length. Of course I would love to build a SRSG but that's too involved for now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lee K.

Original poster: BunnyKiller

but do you need that extra diameter? I am using 1/8" dia pure welding tungsten no thorium ( and you know what power Im dealing with ;) ... and have very little wear and erosion problems.. plus the minimal diameter makes it easier on disc design and dwell time...

Scott D.