RE: Trial and error

Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Have any of you guys ever just built a good TC by trial and error?

	Yes I have made a couple of TC's and an SSTC by trial an error,
using bit I had lying around.

	But when I started coiling, I tried much the same things and had
many total failures. Even with trial and error you must start with
components in the right ball park, you can then fiddle to get them right.
I'm sure most of us on the list who have built a few coils could guess at
the frez of a secondary, pick a primary that'll be about right, and be in
the correct order of magnitude for a primary cap to match. This is due to
experience. Even then you probably wont get the max out of the coil.

	Without the experience, you can save yourself a lot of time and play
with some numbers in JavaTC, WinTesla or similar. Its much quicker in the
end, believe me..

	Derek