Re: x-ray with small Tesla coil as driver

Original poster: "Jack Vandam" <snotoir7674g-at-mindspring-dot-com>

I remember running across the green fluorescence phenomenon when I was a kid
and had one of those old violet ray generators.  In those days, I'd simply
touch the antique bulb I had at the time to the end of the violet ray
terminal and green would light up the inside.  When I became older and
discovered that this might have indicated x-rays, I decided to repeat the
experiment some years ago and check from a distance with a survery meter.
Sure enough, x-rays.  Those original Edison bulbs were all lost and I was
lucky enough to come across one at an antique shop the other day and they
only wanted $5.  The high voltage runs directly from the small, ball
terminal to a piece of foil I have taped on the end of the bulb.  The bulb
filament goes to ground.  That's it.  When I had my larger Tesla coil a few
years back (4" sparks) and drove a similar antique bulb, I could see
fluorescence of an x-ray screen and through thin objects placed in front of
it.  Of course, I couldn't see anything this time with the Science First
coil only producing 1-1.5" sparks, but film did pick up the results.

I think it's interesting that even something of the most basic configuration
like this could do what it does.

Jack