Re: First coil built, was Re: humor, was:Re: Transformers for sale,

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: First coil built, was Re: humor, was:Re: Transformers for sale,

 > Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >
 > >Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 > >In a message dated 9/21/04 10:02:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
 > >tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 > >I built my first coil from the Popular Electronics articles in 7th grade
 > >shop class in 1965, while my classmates were building bowling pin
 > >lamps.  Needless to say, I had an extremely understanding shop teacher.
 > >Those were great days!
 > >Dave
 > >  >My coiling extends back to 1972 - a mere 32 years ago.
 > >ca. 1958 here.
 > >Matt D.
 > >
 > >.
 >
 > Gotcha' beat by one year Matt - 1957 (in 6th grade), using a Model T
 > ignition coil powered by a Lionel train transformer. The Tesla Coil was
 > loosely based on one in "The Boy Electrician" by Morgan... :^)
 >
 > -- Bert --
  Hi,

You were both before me. My first attempt was a round 1962 or about 12 years
old. Tried to copy a Violet Ray machine using an induction coil and a home
made Odin coil. It was not successful. If I remember correctly I wound the
coil on a piece of steel dumb or what.

I know it does not count but I had played with an Violet Ray machine as far
back as I can remember say 1956. My farther would attach the wand to a stool
and our family and friends who were brave enough would stand on the stool
and be able to light florescent lights and neon tubes or draw sparks to
other people. Large light bulbs were spectacular too. It always astonished
most people and even frightened some. It was our family's party trick as
well as the fire works my father made.

A bit off topic but, As a child I can remember attending an industrial
exhibition with my Uncle. There was this big metal cabinet that had a small
three or four turn coil sticking out of the front mounted with its axis
vertical. A guy would drop a small cube (presumable steel) in to the coil
and it just hung in the coil  spinning and wobble around as it started to
glow. Suddenly it would drop from the coil in to a bucket of water creating
a small steam explosion then bubbling violently.  At the time it looked like
magic to me. I guess I can blame my father and uncle for my mad scientist
tendencies. Its odd I have been involved in the design  electro-optical
systems that took three year to get off  the board and had 100+ engineers
working on it and a Tesla coil still fascinates me.

Bob