Re: humor, was:Re: Transformers for sale

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >
 >  >Likewise,
 >  >NASCAR has made horse racing obsolete.
 >
 > IMO, the reason why solid state coils are popular, is that the parts are
 > easier to get. Outside the US, if you want a neon sign transformer you
 > really have to scrounge hard. But you can buy all the parts for a SSTC from
 > any good electronics store. Also I think SSTCs have more "Geek value"
 > because they're more complicated.
 >
 >  >I remember hearing the "Everything will soon be solid state" mantra
back in
 >  >1958.
 >
 > Well everything is solid state now. Commercial "Tesla coils", which is to
 > say resonant pulse transformers for things like klystron and e-beam power
 > supplies, have been solid-state driven for a while now. My point is that the
 > new technologies killed off the old ones pretty fast, except in hobbyist and
 > leisure fields. Plenty of people still fly gliders and paddle canoes for
 > fun, but I don't know of anyone who commutes by canoe.
 >
 > Steve C.

	I plan to build an SSTC some day after some of my other many projects
are completed, but still consider the spark-gap kind as the only "real
TC"s" in spite of the magnificent performance some of the guys are
getting solid state.  I built my first coil in 1941, stolen NST and
glass plate capacitor, and my last mini coil only a year or so ago.
Hard to relize that first coil was only 42 years after Colorado Springs,
of which I'd never heard at the time, and over 62 years ago.  Time flies
when you're having fun!

Ed

Glider pilot, sometime canoeist (sp????), muzzle-loading gun shooter,
antique radio collector, antique book collector, microwave enthusiast,
etc. etc.  Old or new they're all fun........