RE: NST Transformer ThougHts

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,
          A couple of comments:

On 7 Sep 2004, at 21:47, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "rb" <randyaz-at-cableone-dot-net>
 >
 > All I know is that without your filter my NST's cook...

Not surprising.

  The shunts are thinner but they are somewhat
 > helped by the air gaps (very small). However, they are certainly next
 > in line for saturation.

Are they? Even a tiny airgap has a pretty high reluctance. If the
shunts actually did saturate, the transformer's current limiting
ability is reduced to dependence on the winding resistances. Is the
total shunt x-sectional area comparable with that of the primary leg
or is it smaller? That would give some indication whether the shunts
are likely to saturate.

 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TRN-04.gif
 >
 > If the secondaries are loaded, their flux opposes that of the primary,
 > so secondary load will counteract the saturation.

I can't agree with that view. The nett flux in the core has to
support a transfer of power from pri to sec doesn't it?

 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TRN-03.gif
 >
 > This probably explains why NSTs that are firing do not go into this
 > ferrorresonance mode while NSTs run just with a cap on them do.

My spin on it is that a firing NST prevents winding currents from
building up to saturation levels rather than having any direct effect
on flux opposition (Y-N)?

 > would guess that an unloaded transformer that will go into saturation
 > at say 140VAC will need much higher input voltage to saturate with a
 > load on the secondary (I am not an expert in transformer things...).
 > Of course, with a cap on the output as a load, things must get very
 > odd. I would guess that the secondary current would see substantial
 > phase shift so that the secondary counter flux may tend to further
 > increase saturation? At some point, the capacitance on the secondary
 > and the effective inductance in the transformer hit a 60Hz resonance
 > and the thing goes into this loud ferroresonant humming mode.
 >
 > Not sure what it all means. I am certainly not an expert in this stuff
 > so beware of newbi errors...
 >
 > Perhaps we can sort of play with the counter flux and ferroresonance
 > to get super powers out of NSTs. There is already evidence this can be
 > done as shown by Gary Lau's and Gerry's coils that seem to work better
 > than they "should". But right now there is no control or science
 > behind it aside from good luck.
 >
 > Much to ponder...
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 >  Terry

I'm sure the problem isn't intractable. A few turns around each leg
and shunt and monitored under various loading conditions should bring
out the answers.

Malcolm