Terry Strobe on MEGA STEROIDS!!

Original poster: "Bunny Killer" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hey All..

I have been working on a strobe for checking SRSG's and finally came up
with a working version....

I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those "Holloween" 9$ strobes opened it
up and reverse engineered the schematics.

next I removed the voltage divider resistor set that supplies the neon lite
trigger cap ( which also feeds the Hi volt trigger coil)

I placed a diode between the 2  caps ( basically a voltage doubler and this
is the point where the 120VAC is fed into the system)  that are used to
feed the 315VDC to the tube,  for about 120VAC which then leads to the
wiper terminal on the pot for flash speed. From there, ( the resistor set
for voltage division that was removed) was replaced with a 470K ohm
resistor in series with the pot...
I turned it on and was pleasently suprized at 19.7 sum odd Hz flash
rate...   tweeked the pot a tad and got a smooth 20 Hz flash rate....
altho it isnt dead on with the peak of the sine wave ( its about 3-5
degrees BTDC) it gives one a very good idea as to where the spark gap is
aligned to...

I set the rotory about an additional 4 degrees before the stationary gap (
considering that as the strobe is firing early) to place the rotory and
stationary in the correct position as the sine wave progresses

next step to accomplish....   apply Hi volt energy...

I will take pictures and draw up some schematics and a parts list to be
placed in the data storage area Terry has...

more to come...

Scot D