Re: drsstc (Capacitor Lethal charge)

Original poster: Sparktron01-at-comcast-dot-net

David, Bob

The standard safety "rule of thumb" is any capacitor over 10J stored
energy is considered lethal.  Voltage definitely enters into mix (a 30V cap
is certainly less dangerous shock wise then a 3kV one), both can cause
thermal injuries.  I don't know where that 10J figure comes from
however here is quick independent source that supports that...

<http://www.stephstuff-dot-com/esafe/StoredEnergy.htm>http://www.stephstuff-dot-com/esafe/StoredEnergy.htm

As a side note, it is a requirement of the National Electric Code
2003 that any capacitor then 0.1uF or larger charged with 250VDC
or more shall have bleeder resistors installed.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, Va. USA

 > Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com
 >
 > Hi Bob,
 >
 > The defibs that I've seen in my profession (firefighter)
 > generally have two energy level shock settings - 200 joules
 > and 360 joules, so I would assume that they are not charged
 > up to their maximum rated voltage for "shocking". Seems
 > strange that an electric charge that would almost certainly
 > be lethal to a normally healthy, conscious person can "shock"
 > a fibrillating heart back into the "normal" electrical ry-
 > thym, thus possibly saving a life. Dosen't it only take a
 > couple of joules to be mortally dangerous?
 >
 > David Rieben

&!
gt; > > would still probably be in the dozens, if not hundreds of