Re: A question about UV and homemade plasma globes

Original poster: "David Speck" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Eric,
I worked for a summer a long time ago in a Singer air conditioner assembly
plant, though I didn't get to do much with the electrical end of things
(mostly tarring the roof, and a couple weeks doing inventory).

Each compressor motor is different -- no standard that I know of, and
indeed, we had many different models of compressors that were used, but
each was wired differently.
Some were capacitor run motors, where there was an external cap between two
of the pins.  Most of the models had a thermal switch specifically designed
for the particular compressor that cut out a start winding after a second
or two.  Some of the big ones had three phase inputs, or a 4 pin interface
for fast and slow operation.  I know that there was always a lot of
consternation when a new employee matched the wrong relay with a compressor.

If the compressor has a part number on it, you might be able to discover
hookup info off the web, or perhaps a friendly HVAC repair  shop could look
up the pinout of the motor.  See if there is a repair FAQ for Whirlpool
systems.

Given the relatively broad availability of old A/C or basement dehumidifier
(same idea) units, it might just be easier to start from scratch with a
unit that is already wired up.

Dave