Re: Coil Woes

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/12/04 11:59:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi Gary,
>
>I remember your post.  Since Cres for your 15/60 NST is 10.6 nf (call it
>0.01uf), your experiment would correspond to ~ 1 to 5 * Cres.  Im wondering
>if the dummy load is affecting the results.  My computer simulations show at
>values above 3*Cres, the inductive kick can not get things fully charged.
>My actual measurements were between 1.6 and 2.5 * Cres where I scoped the
>primary durning actual SRSG operation.  At 2.5 * Cres, I was drawing 1080
>watts from the power cord and charging to 24KV at the time of bang (900
>watts thru the gap).  I haven't gone larger than 2.5 * Cres cause I ran out
>of cap.  So far the measured results agree with the simulation so Im
>wondering if 4 * Cres would hold up during real operation.
>
>Gerry R.

Gerry,

It think possibly the secret is that Gary's NST is robust
and may deliver more current than expected.  This may be
partly due to the use of 140volts input voltage.   It seems
that all NST's are not the same regarding their current
capability.

Cheers,
John