Re: some new ideas for the SSTC guys

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

 > At the urging of a plasma physics guru from UW-Madison (Paul Nonn for those
 > of you who might remember meeting him at Ed's recent Teslathon), I removed
 > the sec coil and placed it on a stand 10 feet away.  I used a 7 inch corona
 > ball on the bottom to prevent any corona and used a single tap which I
 > attached to the "normal" primary coil.  With some re-tuning it was again
 > spraying out 8 ft sparks.

If I understand, you are proposing a kind of drsstc without a
transformer,
but using a direct connection.
Surely works, as works as an alternative to a normal Tesla coil too.
The only problem is that the voltage gain becomes attached to the number
of
cycles used in the energy transfer. Not a big problem in a drsstc, since
these systems apparently can use some extra cycles in the energy
transfer
without much trouble with heavy losses in a spark gap. In the other
hand,
they need higher voltage gain to compensate for the smaller input
voltage.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz