some new ideas for the SSTC guys

Problem --- Exploding IGBTs when they are hit with a sec - pri spark (Terry
Blake's coil terrible demise at our Teslathon).

A few years ago I did some experiments with a flat spiral coil (18 dia.
sec.).  In the classic configuration with a .05 uF cap, RSG, and 4.5 turn
primary the sec sprayed out 8 ft long sparks.

At the urging of a plasma physics guru from UW-Madison (Paul Nonn for those
of you who might remember meeting him at Ed's recent Teslathon), I removed
the sec coil and placed it on a stand 10 feet away.  I used a 7 inch corona
ball on the bottom to prevent any corona and used a single tap which I
attached to the "normal" primary coil.  With some re-tuning it was again
spraying out 8 ft sparks.

What I'm getting at here, is, the SSTC experimenters, Dan M., Steve W.,
etc, might try using a larger dia sec coil and then use a 15-20 turn test
primary coil while feeding the sec coil a few feet away.  If this works,
then the greatest danger to SSTCing, ie, blowing the IGBTs should become a
problem of the past.

It will take some experimenting --- perhaps the best tap is "inside" the
normal classic tap location or perhaps it will be "outside", but either
way, getting the sec away from the primary to act as a series fed setup
should eliminate the IGBT explosion problem.  If it does work the primary
can be either a flat spiral or normal solenoid coil --- perhaps enclosed in
clear acrylic with a large "feeder" wire over to the sec coil.

If someone DRSSTC tinkering wants to experiment with this idea on their
present or planned near future coil, please advise and I will send you a
nice 10 ft long chunk of #6 AWG for experiments --- with 125 kV BIL
insulation --- it's 1 inch thick and offers great HV feedwire
performance.  We use this "big Red" on all our HV power supplies to feed
the 14.4 kV HV over to the base of the oscillator.

Might work, might not, but worth trying.

Dr. Resonance