Re: If correct, this will change everything!!

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward-at-gmail-dot-com>

Finn,

Comments:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:48:39 -0600, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 > Original poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-h-at-c.dk>
 >
 > Terry, all
 >
 > I`m sure I speak for more than myself, when I ask how it is possible to:

 > 1) build up kilovolts from hundreds of volts,  without a transformer, and

Many people find this hard to believe.  Its all resonant stuff.
DRSSTCs build up many kV in the tank circuit all from just a few
hundred volts an NO transformer ;).

 > 2) contain kilovolts inside the tank, with IGBT as gatekeepers. IGBT`s are
 > known to be less than tolerant to overvoltage. Why don`t they blow due to
 > overvoltage?

This high voltage exists basically at the node where the L and C
connect.  On either end of the series LC the voltage is clamped to the
power supply from which it all originates.  We need those reverse
diodes on the IGBTs to clamp this voltage safely to the filter caps.

Steve