Re: Measuring Streamer characteristics

Hi Bob,

The actual streamer current is usually seen as a jagged edge on the current
graphs.  This picture shows them well:

http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/sphere10us.jpg

There is always an initial very short but very powerful "burst" when the
spark gap first fires composed of MHz to GHz noise that swamps the
equipment.  It often saturates the fiber optics creating longer apparent
pulse widths.  also, when current is delivered, the top voltage may drop
drastically very fast.

In ground strike pictures like this:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/smallar/Image149.jpg

The powerful RF noise form the discharge simply wipes out the measurement
equipment and any scale factors are lost.  Your just seeing radiated noise
into the equipment and grounds.  One could conclude by the voltage and
discharge time what the current "might" be.  But don't trust the scale of
the graphs at those moments.

I hope that answers your question.  Plane wave antennas are far more
capable in many instances:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/waveant3.html

Cheers,

         Terry