Re: Spark gap construction

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Original poster: "Bert Pool" <bert.tx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

These copper pipes get HOT!  PVC would probably last about a minute.

You might try what I've successfully done:

Small ceramic or porcelain cylinders work well as supports (four per
copper
cylinder, two if you can find long ones) - I have found these ceramic
insulators at ham fests and electronic junk places. Lay the ceramic
cylinders down on their sides and epoxy them down - lay the copper
cylinder
on top of them.  Copper cylinder gaps always pit & corrode during use,
You
can rotate the cylinders and expose a fresh surface!  Eventually you do
have to sand them down to clean them."

	The first such gap I built used "radio insulators" to support the
pipes.  The second one was simpler.  I just made a base from a piece of
1/2" transite (asbestos-based sheet) and bolted the pipes directly to
it.  Works well and was very easy to put together.

Ed