RE: RSG and NST's

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Hi David:

I'm sure you know better, but I still have to ask this to cover all
bases.  Can you say with certainty that prior to the NST failures, that
you were careful to ensure that the RSG was spinning at 120BPS or
greater before energizing the NST's?  Was there a reasonably set safety
gap in parallel with the RSG?  And any possibility that the RSG gap
clearance was excessively wide?

I would agree with you on the cap feeling the stress more-so than the
transformer at higher BPS, due to the higher Irms.  But I also think
that this would be a greater problem in pig-powered systems.  With NST's
or other lower powered sources, the bang voltage will diminish with
higher BPS's.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

<snip>