RE: Secondary winding direction

Original poster: "Sue Gaeta" <sgsparky@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Wait a minute Gary! You are the one that showed ME that I shouldn't be lugging a scope around to help people get their coils in tune! You built that nifty little circuit that Terry designed with the 555 timer and the two LEDs.
Terry: please insert link here :-)

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/TCT/TCT.htm (>forgive if slow-downloading a few gig of Linux stuff today<)

I built that thing and it works great! Well, actually it didn't work good the first time because I connected a 10 foot piece of wire to my torroid to act as a dummy streamer - it doesn't pay to be too optimistic :-)

So, all you need is that little black box that can be built in one night and a frequency counter, and you can hunt for Fres of the secondary, and then adjust the primary to the same thing. Just remember to short out the spark gap to make your parallel resonant circuit, and get the secondary away from the primary or else you will get a "double dip" that will drive you insane at least temporarily.

Terry has complete instructions at his site, so I won't ramble on any more. (I hope it's still there)

Sue

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Lau, Gary"

The winding direction makes no difference - CW, CCW, pri & sec same or
different doesn't matter.

A scope is the only way to measure the operating frequency; a frequency
counter is useless since the waveform is not CW.

Gary Lau
MA, USA