Re: SSTC design procedure

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dan,

On 14 May 2004, at 13:33, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
 > <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>
 >

 > I guess it depends on the type of SSTC you are building.  The ISSTC
 > and DRSSTC types require that the primary capacitor, primary
 > inductance is carefully matched to the secondary characteristics.

I take that means one being well-tuned to the other, or are you
hinting at something else? What happens to that fine tuning when the
sparks start flying?

 > Other SSTCs that don't require a tuned primary circuit can be built
 > more arbitrarily.

 > In any account, there is also some calculations, and at this point,
 > there isn't much praying other than hoping your first few runs don't
 > result in exploding MOSFETs!

Thanks for your insights. I gather then that arbitrariness is still
very much in the foreground. Apart from the tuning requirement,
little else seems to be suggested in what you wrote. For example, no
reason is given to choose particular inductances, a particular coil
length etc.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

Malcolm