Re: CDE 942c20p15k Group buy

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

We don't have the volume discount that other suppliers like RELL have, and
CDE's price tends to fluctuate with the price of the raw goods (aluminum,
PP, copper).  At first we got caps for about $2.20 each, but typically we
pay $2.50 to $2.75 each.  In the beginning we adjusted our price to be a
little bit above our price from CDE, but it became difficult to track money
and orders, and we decided to set one price: $2.50.  Then we bought the a
batch of caps for $2.75, and we raised the price to $3.00, where it has
remained.  It's a fairly reasonable price, and it allows us to include
bleeder resistors and packaging (which is really not covered by the
shipping price) and pay for trips to UPS or the post office (car
reimbursement is $.345 per mile and we typically only ship one or two boxes
at a time due to volume), etc.  It really is a big hassle for the office
people who are responsible for the ordering process who I know would not
miss the lack of MMC sales.  Any couple cents!
  profit we may make per capacitor goes directly to support the Geek
Group's operating costs.  Our goals can be found on the front page of our
website.

The information is the biggest thing we are concerned about, and we really
don't care what caps people use, who uses what caps, nor who people
purchase them from, so long as those decisions are educated.  We started to
offer the caps because at the time most places didn't even OFFER these
types of caps, and ones that did charged a HUGE amount of money and/or
required high minimum orders.  So we stepped in to make the hobby of Tesla
Coiling a little more accessible by offering suitable capacitors for
minimal markup and no minimum orders.

Steve, we are happy that you have found a cheaper source and are passing
along a better deal.  You are certainly not stepping on toes or alienating
yourself, despite what others may have said.

Since we were able to get an unusually low price from CDE for our latest
batch, we will be lowering the price a bit.  I'll post more when we have
the price set in stone and the shipment from CDE in stock.  The difference
will only be a quarter or two at the most, but it'll add up when you buy 100 ;)

There, now you know almost as much as I do about The Geek Group MMC sales:
in summary, we absolutely are not getting rich off selling these things and
encourage everyone to seek the best deal(s) for their situation.  Those who
wish to discuss prices more in depth or make more accusations of someone
getting rich off the profits are requested to do so with myself of Chris
Boden offlist.

Best regards!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek GroupOn Sat, 15 May 2004 09:12:57 -0600, Tesla