Re: My First Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Chris Fanjoy" <zappyman-at-hotmail-dot-com>

   Well thanks so much for your initial advice, everyone. I'm just now
beginning to get a grasp of the fundamentals, and I must say it's a very
empowering feeling to finally begin figuring out something that seemed so
mysterious to me, for so many years. Some comments on the advice I was given:

   Capacitors. You've warned me that mylar caps aren't necessary very good.
Maybe I haven't described these caps as well as I should have. These are
NOT the round foil types, such as the ones in old radios. A few of these
are "orange drop" types, and the rest are quite similar though they come in
different colors and slightly different shapes. Values vary widely; I have
quite a few in the 0.2 - 0.47 uF -at- 200VDC, right up to 0.068 uF -at- 1600VDC
(commonly found in the horizontal output stages of old TV's). Maybe it
would be more helpful if I could post a picture to a newsgroup such as
alt.energy.high-voltage. It's very possible that I don't know as much about
capacitors as I thought I did.

   I expect to spend at least another month acquiring and assembling the
different components. I hope to start working on the secondary coil within
the next week.

   I can already see that this could become a very addictive hobby........

   One last question, regarding spark gaps. From what I've read, these
things produce a lot of noise. Is it possible to build the SG into some
kind of enclosure, that would absorb most of the noise yet still allow for
forced-air cooling? Such as putting it in a PVC pipe, and fitting the ends
with a "silencer" similar to those used on some weapons.

   You'll probably here from me again soon. If anyone is interested, I
could post a picture of some of the capacitors in question, to the
aforementioned NG. And if you need some MOT's, don't hesitate to inquire,
or just look on Ebay, where I've been selling quite a few recently. I still
have at least 30 remaining, and I'm always acquiring more.

   Thanks again.