Re: My First Tesla Coil

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 5/13/04 3:51:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Chris,

These are my opinions, you will probably get several.  Approximately 1200
turns on the secondary is what you want.  If you have # 27 wire, you should
measure the diameter and calculate the winding length required.  My wire
chart says # 27 is nominal .0152" in dia. up to .0164" for heavy build
insulation.  That is a range of 65.8 to 61 turns per inch.  For 1200 turns
this would be a winding length of about 19".  Using a 4" diameter secondary
would yield a 4.75:1 ratio which is good.   You want to be in the range of
4.5:1 to 5.0:1.  For a coil of this size, I would suggest a flat primary of
.25" copper tubing with an inside diameter of 6.0" to 6.5", .375" between
turns and 12 to 15 turns total.  There is no special turns ratio you are
looking for here.  The self resonant frequency of the secondary coil with
toroid and the self resonant frequency of the primary coil with primary cap
must match.  A capacitor value is selected so the coils will be in tune
when tapped at about 80% of full turns on the primary.

Mylar caps are very lossy and usuall fail quickly in Tesla coil use.  You
want to build a cap with individual caps (mmc), or buy a good commercial
pulse cap (expensive), or build you own with aluminum plates and LDPE (low
density polyethylene) or make some salt water caps.

Have fun.

Ed Sonderman