Re: Copper toroid

Original poster: "Richard Modistach" <hambone-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

<<i've been a plumber for twenty five years and i do not care what you do to
 > copper it will not rust >>

i agree 100%
rust is a specific term given to
ferric compounds but is simply a type of
metallic oxidation\corrosion.
surface copper corrosion occurrs over time
after polishing with steel wool, a wipe down
to get rid of any wool 'micro' particles left on
the copper that may rust solves any problems,
steel wool causing copper to rust is an old wives tale.
i've also been buffing all types of stainless steel
with mild steel wire brushes for as long as i can
remember and never had any rust occurr, surface
or otherwise.
having said that, steel wool is a poor choice for
polishing, a chemical and mechanical cutting
compound like brasso in aus. (*god only knows
what it's called in the u.s.)or a straight chemical
cutting compound like tarnoff (* see above) is
far better, the brasso(* see above) needs elbow
grease and will do wonders for aluminium too.
tarnoff can be wiped on and wiped dry.
i'll be using a 6\18" exhaust donut as the toroid
copper plated  and polished to a mirror finish.
my primary and strike ring will be the same.
rubbing with steel wool will remove the polish and
take it back to a satin finish. tarnoff will do the same.
only brasso and elbow grease or a buffing wheel
will mirror it.

regards
richard
aus