RE: Self-Resonant SSTC topologies

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

David,

The reason my ISSTC is "Self-starting" is because when I ENABLE the
inverting gate driver, its output goes high.  This pulses the GDT and turns
1/2 of the IGBTs ON, this in turn starts up the oscillation.  You can
modify most SSTCs to be self starting by using gate drivers with enable
inputs (or you could make up a logic based scheme).  If you plan to run it
with half-wave input you will need a staccato (like a VTTC staccato) to
send out a high signal just *after* the zero crossing.  Im working on a
SSTC (which uses base current feedback) that works in this manner.  So far
i had it working great, then something happened, and while it will
oscillate and make sparks, something isnt right with it (some odd behaviors).

So does that clear it up for you?  If not, let me know.

Steve