Re: PSSTC Measured Power Specifications - Re: 66" SSTC

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dan,

On 11 May 2004, at 7:13, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
 > <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>
 >
 > Repaired my PSSTC and back to running again.  I also added a bunch of
 > polyethylene insulation between primary and secondary but that didn't
 > do much at all!!  (As Steve Ward noted earlier)
 >
 > Anyways, using a FLUKE 41 Harmonic Power Analyzer, I got the following
 > readings.
 >
 > I didn't try to push it at all this evening.  Probably around
 > 150-160VAC
 >
 > MEASUREMENTS
 > Real Power delivered to PSSTC:   1.0kW  (used variac to get this
 > number even) Power Factor:  0.78 Distance:  Consistently hit strike
 > target which was randomly placed between 40" and 55" Pulsewidth:
 > 250us PRF:  100Hz
 >

 > I was using a 120VAC to 240VAC step-up transformer to get my higher
 > voltage input.  I imagine this big transformer has something to do
 > with the poor power factor.
 >
 > Dan

At this point and having measured those figures, if must be a
tempting proposition to use active PFC ahead of the switching
circuitry, something I've long been planning to do. A combination of
eliminating the ol' gap plus boosting wallplug efficiency to the max
will set further spark research on a rather sound footing.

Malcolm