Re: Panel meter insulation

Original poster: Ray von Postel <vonpostel-at-comcast-dot-net>

Brad:
Most panel meters are not rated for more than about 600 volts no matter
what the scale on the face says.
If I wanted to measure plate voltages of up to around 3000 volts d.c. I
would select a meter with a movement of something like 1 ma. but with a
face that read 3000 volts.  I would mount it on an insulating panel such as
bakelite. That panel would be mounted about an inch behind a glass window
in the enclosure/cabinet.  The multiplier resistors for the meter can then
be some distance from the meter itself.  The thing you have to guard
against is an open connection in the meter movement.  That could place the
meter at high voltage and you could accidentally touch it.  The meter
movement adjusting screw on the front of many older meters is metal.
Placing it behind the glass window protects against that and other
hazards.  Always treat a meter reading plate voltage as if it is hot to ground.

If the problem is that you want to read the plate current without having to
also read the grid current then I suggest you read the total plate and grid
current in the cathode circuit and measure the grid current
separately.  You can mentally subtract the grid current from the cathode
current the difference being the plate current.  That is common practice.

Ray