Re: SSTC toroid?

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Chris,

I feel quite oppositely about this.  For CW SSTCs a small toroid DOES help
performance by about 20% or more on many of my SSTCs.  I didn notice that
lower power coils really dont show this.  My highest power SSTC (1800W)
would go from 16" to 21" discharges when adding a small (8pf) topload.  The
idea that i heard is that increasing the breakout voltage of your SSTC will
cause it to draw more energy (lowers the impedance of the resonator i suppose).

Furthermore, i have never experienced heating of the toroid that was not
due to the sparks themselves heating the surface.

Steve