Re: Cap Start Motor

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:17 AM 5/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>Hi all,
>
>I just received a Franklin Electric 1/12 HP cap start motor today that I
>got off of ebay and it came with no wiring diagram.  There are four wires
>from the motor (a RED(in) and BLACK(in) pair, and a BROWN and WHITE
>pair).  The wart on top of the motor encases a switch looking device and
>not the start cap that I was expecting (of course I have no hands on
>experience with cap start motors).  Apparently the start cap is something
>I supply???  The RED(in) and BLACK(in) pair goes into this switch looking
>device and I presume that the downstream side (a RED(out) and BLACK(out)
>pair) of this device is the start winding.  The WHITE and BROWN pair must
>then be the main winding.  The two windings are not seperate, but share a
>common node (ie, BROWN and BLACK(out) are connected).  The resistance
>between WHITE and BROWN is 11 ohms and the resistance between RED(out) and
>BLACK(out) is 17 ohms.  The resistance between RED(out) and WHITE is 6
>ohms that makes me believe that this is a tapped winding.
>
>If this is the case, RED(out) would be the outer tap (wrt, the common
>node) and WHITE would be the inner tap.
>
>Could someone tell me if I have this correct that RED(out) and BLACK(out)
>is the start winding and WHITE and BROWN (same as BLACK(out)) comprises
>the main winding?  This is also a thermal protected motor and I don't know
>if this wart is related to thermal protection and the start winding switch
>is internal or the other way around.  All pictures of cap start motors on
>ebay seem to have this wart.
>
>Also, is it customary that the start cap NOT be part of the motor?
>
>In addition, the name plate for the motor has the following:
>
>Model 1106680404
>1725/1450 rpm
>Date code K88
>
>Many thanks,
>Gerry R

Sure it's a cap start and not a PSC (cap run) motor?  Have you sent an
email to Franklin Electric to ask them for a wiring diagram?  Sure, the
motor might be 15 years old, but it's not like they change designs that often.

http://www.franklin-electric-dot-com/empd/tech/fe-basic.html